Friday, November 30, 2007

Worth the Wait

After the long trip and very little sleep along the way, I was surprised at how alert we all were when it was time to leave for MOE appointment. I did not feel nervous at all. We were picked up in the hotel lobby at about 1:30. We had about a 10 minute drive to a nondescript building where we met Marina, the translator. Then, the other couple along with us were all taken into a small room where we sat and were given a little information, and asked specifics about our family and our reasons for wanting to adopt a child from Russia. This was different from other people's experiences, I think. Most people are taken in one couple at a time. It went quickly and I did not feel any pressure at all. The women were very friendly and they complimented us on our clothes and how young we looked and that we were "nice looking." I felt really good leaving this appointment. Off to the orphanage....

About an hour outside of town, sits a building that is beautiful to me. It is very old, falling apart in some places and yet is home to 180 children that need a family. Inside is my daughter. We walked into the building and I cannot even put into words my thoughts and feelings at that moment. The walls when you walk in are covered in pictures of former residents. Pictures that their parents have either sent back or brought back on return trips. They are each a different story and soon, our story will be on that wall also.

Upstairs is a room they call the music room. We are told to sit down and so we do. And the next thing I know, the door opens and in walks a lady holding the hand of a little pixie in a pink dress with golden curls and eyes the color of a summer sky. Here they call her Vika. The nanny bent down and said something to her in Russian and the only word I could understand was "mama." Then, my little girl walked into my arms for the first time and it was amazing. She snuggled her head into my neck and I knew immediately that this moment was where God had been leading me for the past two years. It was worth the wait.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Lori,
Oh my! You should've warned your readers to grab tissues first!!! What a blessing. I cried all the way through your blog entry this afternoon. Can't wait to meet your little angel!

Terra said...

Lori and Adam, you both have been in my thoughts and prayers while on your journey to actually get the chance to hold and comfort your little girl. I'm so very excited for you both and your family! What a true blessing you have received from the Good Lord above!! The Hoskins Family

Terra said...

Lori and Adam,
What an Awesome answered prayer the Good Lord above has blessed you with. You have finally experienced the feeling to hold and comfort your little girl after a long road traveled. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Yes, a tissue needed alert would've been nice!!! Ha, ha. What a blessing!
Terra

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I am so happy for you that your trip went so well and that you have met your little angel! We also were taken into the MOE office with the couple we traveled with. I was surprised. Praying that you will get to go back soon.
Susan Banchero
mama to Dasha in Kras, trip one Sept.22, 2007

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Aren't we all totally in love??? The last two years of paperwork, trips to the post office, and endless ups and downs are melting away. She is gorgeous and the story of meeting her is so beautiful. Can't get over the part about the bracelet.

kate said...

Absolutely precious. Stories like this keep me waiting patiently...or with something close to patience.