Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What's In a Name?

I couldn't sleep last night...we had to be in the lobby at 4:30 am and so we had to get up at 3:30...I went to bed fine but I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Whenever I look through the pictures of our time with Vikellie or we walk past a mirror and I point to her and I ask, "who's that?" She softly wispers, "Vika." Sometimes she sings, "Vika, Vika, Vika..." to the tune of Nanny, nanny, boo boo. Here is a child who has been on earth for over two years and when I picked her up 5 days ago all she had to bring with her was her name. I am struggling with my desire to call her Ellie and a need to let her be Vika.


Having three children already, I have learned over the last 8+ years that being a parent is a priveldge and not a right...Do I have the right to change this child's name? I'm not too sure...I confess that it was very hard to leave Kras this morning. I cried quite a bit as the plane took off and I looked out the window for what was (realistically) the last time I would ever see the birth place of my child. It was really hard knowing that that would always be missing from her life. I am confident that God has called us to this path and I pray that I will have the faith to believe that He will equip us to handle all that is ahead...even something as simple as a name.


****We are back in Moscow safe and sound and off to the Embassy tomorrow morning to begin the process of making Ellie a full fledged American. So exciting...so tired. THe flight was fairly uneventful...all the kids did well but they were all tired and then we got stuck in traffic on the way to the hotel so we followed up a 5 hour flight with a 3 hour car ride....

3 comments:

Heather Brandt said...

I'm praying for you! You are getting so close to your journey home...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your little one's name...I've wondered about this with regards to how we should approach naming the child has planned for us...I think that The Weaver's Craft (maybe? I've read a lot lately) suggests using their original name as a special family nickname, if you don't end up having that as their regular name. A special kind of name that is just for family use...you might check that book when you get home to see how she describes it...I'm sure I'm not explaining it very well..

Take care,

Heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Heather

Susan & Phil said...

So glad you have made it safely to Moscow; you'll be home before you know it!

Journey of Faith said...

I know exactly how you felt- the plan is taking off- Eli is sitting on my lap and looking out the window. I tear up now just thinking about my thoughts then- That's where you were born, buddy, but now you're going home. Say, Paka, Krasnoyarsk.

That van ride from the airport wasn't much fun, was it? Eli threw up about 1 hour into the trip- and then we went to the medical center and had all our checkups done, fed him a little snack- which he threw up on the way to have passport photos taken, and then another hour on to the hotel. The airline did seem much easier.... :0)

You are almost done!! Just a few more days.... Praying for nice weather for you. The rain makes it that much harder- which hotel are you in?

Looking forward to talking with you in the same time zone again!!

Blessings,
Tim, Deb and Eli