Friday, April 4, 2008

Gotcha!


We got her!!!! Oh my goodness…every bad thought I could possibly have had leading up to this moment was in vain…Our facilitators picked us up at 4:00 in the lobby and we loaded up with all of our gear…clothes to change them into, snow suits, shoes, cameras, towels and bags in case of puke…When we got to the orphanages, they sent us to the same room we visit in…we got out all of her clothes and they took us into their group rooms so that we could get pics of her rooms at the home. Those faces and scenes will be with me for the rest of my life…although I had seen it in February, it was different somehow now that I was taking her from it…more significant that I take in every detail, every face.

Once we had taken the pics, we returned to the visitation room and the kids were dressed. They began to cry when we walked in but Serge, our driver took Ellie’s hand and led her from the room. He told her to hold my hand as well and she did. Outside, we posed with Galena for a picture and then we loaded into the van for our ride back to the hotel. Not one tear on the way…lots of surprised gasps at every car and she would yell out, “dadya!” at all the men…which translates, “uncle” or “man.” She uses it every time she sees a man she doesn’t know.

When we got to the hotel, she had just a moment of reservation and she insisted on walking by herself; she is very independent! She turned around only once to see if our facilitators were with us…once inside our room, she did a slow perusal of everything…surprisingly she was not very interested in the toys. She was more interested in the sounds outside and the telephone.

We tried to feed her…she was not into any of the baby food we bought…seems to only care for the solids which is surprising and since we were not prepared for it, she ate mostly Cheerios and crackers for dinner tonight. I also showed her some video of our visits at the orphanage…she heard the music from the music lessons and began clapping her hands and did not seem sad at all…

Then, I said the word for bath and she ran to me!!! She would have climbed into the tub with her clothes on if we let her…I had to hold her back until Adam got in there to get her clothes off while I was filling the little tub! She immediately began to pour the water over face and giggle and as I sit here, she is still in there playing and giggling. If Adam or I leave the room she yells for us and it is the sweetest sound. She is completely happy! Fell asleep next to me in our bed at 9:30…I picked her up and moved her to the crib…Not one tear yet! Gotcha never felt so good.

17 comments:

Grandma Andie said...

Dear Lori and Adam and Ellie,
Through tears of joy, relief and praise, we send you all of our love. What an experience. God Bless us every one!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I can't write through the tears. Hurry home. We love y'all so much.
Margaret

The Wilson's said...

How precious! You gotta just be eating it up. She is so adorable.
Yeah!!! It is finally over! I can only imagine the feeling. I am so happy for your family!

Just Jacki said...

She's beautiful!! I'm so glad the first part of the transition for Ellie has gone great. We will pray that it will all be that way. Enjoy your week of bonding. I can't wait to see all four kids in July?!
We love you all,
Aunt Jacki

Kelli said...

I'm speechless and overflowed with joy for you guys.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

It came true!!!

Shannon said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful! I am so happy for you both! Shannon

JennyM said...

So very happy for you all!! She is so beautiful! It looks like your first night together went well. I will hang onto the fact that all of the waiting and heartache will melt away when we have our girls in our arms.

My heart is so full for you today. :0) Cherish these first moments as I'm sure you will. God bless you all.

sandy said...

She is so lovely! Congratulations on having such a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations.
Ellie is so beautiful. She looks so happy and full of joy.
All your hard work and patients has come to fruition. Blessings for you and your family.

Heather Brandt said...

This girlie is adorable! I'm so glad that you have had some precious times together already as you bond. May God continue to bless you as your grow together as a family!

heather

Anonymous said...

she is soooo beautiful and congratulations. we remember what it feels like. calvin and jaime shaw

Deb said...

Wow! What a great day. So glad that she is doing so well. She's adorable. I love the pictures with the bubbles.

Journey of Faith said...

Great pictures- are you in room 446? Recognized the shower......That was the Goeppner's room and then our room.
Where's the family photo with mom and dad?
Thinking about you, praying for this time as you bond and grow together as a family.
Blessings to you all!!
The Swingle three

Susan & Phil said...

She is just beautiful!
You both must be ecstatic!
We are so happy for you!!

Sherri said...

Lori and Adam,
Finally getting a moment to check in. I could just cry reading your blog today!! Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you both!! God is so good!! That little tub brings back memories!!
Sherri

Chris Goeppner said...

Oh Lori, I am so happy for you and your husband! She just may be the most beautiful little girl ever! I love seeing her smile ( last time I saw her, she was crying)!
Yay, bedtime with no tears! You are very blessed indeed!
-Penny

floridabaldwins said...

She is wonderful, I am so happy for all of you.
Safe travels home.
the Baldwins