Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Let's do it!

Ok, so, already the blog is frustrating to me...I can't figure out how to put things on it like pretty wall paper and pictures in my profile. I get frustrated with the computer very easily so I will have to rope Adam in and get his help adding some features to my already boring page.

My first "blog"...what is a blog anyway? is going to be about how we got on this journey. October marks two years since we began this process and it has been a long two years. I confess that it has been longer still for others in the waiting room as we "paper pregnant" parents refer to our chat. Seems funny to feel pregnant and yet you do. The ninth month has just been a little longer this way...but let me back up to conception.
I just always believed I would foster children. I felt in my heart that God had called me to this and after just three years in the class room, I knew that the calling was not there. SO, every once in a while, I would talk to my husband about getting into the paperwork and taking the required classes to begin taking in children. Almost always, I was met with the same answer. "Let's talk about it next year." Well, the years rolled by and we had a third child and he was just three months shy of his second birthday. Again, I went to Adam with the idea that we should take the steps to become foster parents. This time the answer was different.

He gently explained to me that he did not think our family (me, mostly) could handle the emotions involved in the foster care program. The giving and taking, the bonding and breaking of the system. I knew he was right. Ironically, and the first of many God moments, I had already ordered an information packet from AWAA, which was the agency that some friends of ours used to adopt their little girl from China. It was in a drawer in my desk and when I walked over and pulled it out, you might have been able to peel Adam's jaw off the floor. He was totally surprised that I had even thought about it...which really, I had not, let alone ordered information about it. This idea of mine was also met with some resistance. His initial fears were the typical ones..."Can I love this child like I love the ones of my flesh?" After hearing the testimony of the Chapman's and seeing how her heart was changed, and about three days of prayer where I was left in total darkness as to his thoughts (little did I know at the time that 3 days of waiting for anything is a blink!) he said, "Let's do it!" That's it..."Let's do it!"

Our application was in online within the hour and we were on the long and sometimes uphill road to Russia...

1 comment:

Journey of Faith said...

Yeah!! You did it! Your site looks great!- pictures and links- I think you have more skill at this web design than you are letting on.....
Look forward to hearing more about your journey- who knows- our pics may end up together on each others blogs as we travel :)
Deb