Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Surfin' USA


Ok, so it's been a week. We've been busy, what can I say? Each year toward the last days of school, one (or more) of our kids have a beach field trip. We pack up and whatever kids I have in my possession go with me and the kid's classes to the beach. Last year I had Rusty and Dinah's little Gracie with me...This year, in my car was Ruthie, Rusty, Ellie and two of Ruthie's classmates. (Flip had school for the curious minded)

The field trip leaves from the school, we drive about 40 minutes and catch a ferry out to an island, spend a few hours playing and then head back...this year was special because it was a certain little girl's first trip to the sand and sea. SHE LOVED IT! I wasn't sure how she would do because she is finicky about having "stuff" on her hands. She sat right down in the sand and proceeded to smear it all over her. She ate with sand on her hands...wandered about and even ventured toward the surf holding Rusty's hand.

The water was a bit overwhelming for her. It was a windy day and the waves were a bit higher than we normally get on the west coast...her being so little, they swiped her right off her feet. She was fascinated with the sensation of wet sand between her toes each time the water came in and buried her feet. She has no fear of water...swimming lessons ASAP!

I am looking forward to family trips to the beach this summer when Adam can take her into the water and play. I know, being a Florida girl, you would think I would be a beach loving sun worshipper...I DO NOT tan...and when I say I DO NOT tan, I mean that I freckle, I burn and I peal. I am a Florida girl only in a name...I have seen too many leathery women to want to sacrifice my skin to the sun for the sake of a little color. I also do not particularly care for the beach. I prefer to see my feet when I am in the water and it is even better if I am not sharing the water with any other species.

I sacrifice my clean, SAND FREE car to venture to the beach because my kids love it. It is even better if we can drag daddy along with us because he will go into the water. He will help bathe everyone when we get back while I wash all the nasty, wet, sandy suits and towels. He will unload the car of sand toys, chairs and coolers and he will take my car and vacuum out all the sand...no wonder the beach is eroding...it goes home with all the families who visit her shores! So, we are not your typical beach combing Florida family but rather reluctant summer visitors in SPF 50. But, it sure is beautiful at sunset.
Ruthie and her best friends.

Rusty and His teacher.

6 comments:

Chris Goeppner said...

What a funny post Lori! I feel very similar about the beach. I do not like to go in the ocean either, that sticky, salty water drives me nuts! I do like seeing my boys have a blast at the beach though so it's all worth it I guess.;) Ellie sure is one cute beach bunny!=)
-Penny

Kelli said...

Aw! I have to say that the Bates family are definately beach goers. Sorry you don't have a liking for it, but to each her own right? =) I tagged you so let's hear your 7 random things Lori!

Carey and Norman said...

You're hilarious. I also enjoy a vacation that is somewhere other than the beach. I agree with children going to the beach is more enjoyable. They love the sand and water.

Your pictures are adorable!

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

A girl after my own heart, that is why I live in NC:) Great post. Thanks for updating, Jeez!

Luv U
Meagen

Kasjaniuk said...

Thank goodness I'm not the only Florida native who dislikes the sticky gunk after a day at the beach. Not to mention the sand scratching your sun burned skin. I much prefer hanging out by the pool.

How fun to watch a little one at the beach for the first time!!! So many firsts yet to experience.

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

:) I'm a freckler, burner and peeler, too. Unfun!

Made me laugh!

cm