Friday, May 2, 2008

Rambling Bayou

So, I checked the registry website earlier in the week and they finally updated and our little "Vika" is no longer on the list of available children:0) This worried me between trips but then when we got home and she was on there for three weeks after we had her in our arms, I had to laugh! But, it'sbeen updated and she no longer listed as a child needing a family.

It's been a long week. In the spirit of getting in shape, I am back on the tread mill and toning after probably 6 months of irregular exercise. Since gotcha day, I have been without children for a total of 2 hours...I am counting the night time because since we got home, nights are hit or miss. Some nights we don't hear a peep out of her and on those nights, it is one of the others:0) We are up at 6am to get ready for school and the after school activities don't stop until nearly 9pm some nights. Oy, I am tired!

The kids are starting to settle in...I use the word "starting" loosely. Flip's skin is getting a little thicker...Ruthie has realised she is just really emotional right now and is making an effort to let things roll off her back and Rusty...well, he is Rusty. Ellie is almost completely comfortable with the dog now...the other day she fell asleep on him and I would have taken a pic but Adam had the camera at the Cubbies Award Ceremonies. And, seriously, how cute is this red head in a bright blue Cubbies Vest?

Over the past few weeks, Ellie has done really well eating and sleeping. She is getting through each day with little to no nap due to our weird school schedule...in order for her to get a full 2 hour nap, she would have to be asleep by 11:30 since I have to leave the house by 1:35 to pick up Ruthie and Rusty. Usually I leave the house before this to get errands done. She tends to cat nap through out the day and crash hard at night. We may have discovered the problem at bedtime...we think it is the door...it must remain OPEN ALL THE WAY. I'm pretty sure she is quite afraid to be in rooms by herself. She will venture off through out the day but she either yells for me until I call back or she comes to find me every 10 minutes or so. At night, she falls asleep almost instantly if we sit beside her bed. If she wakes in the night, she cries...when she wakes in the morning, (light outside) she will sometimes play quietly until I go in and get her.

She really enjoys being held and snuggled...this is so nice because it could be so the other way around. However, I am dealing with the emotions of three other children. I am finding it difficult to balance the needs of an adopted child with the emotions of children who feel they have been displaced. It is emotionally wearing. Adam has been overcompensating with the other three to the detriment of his bonding time with Ellie. When I get back from North Carolina, we are going to throw her into the night time routine with the rest of the kids...this is Adam's time with them. He prays with them and plays games in their rooms right before bed. I have been putting Ellie to bed each night out of deference to their "normal" routine. But starting next week, Ellie will be thrown into bath, bed and beyond with the rest of the scallywags.

So, Ellie and I fly to NC on Sunday morning bright and early. We have appointments with Dr. Douglass both Monday and Wednesday. I am going to stay with my friend who lives outside of Raleigh and make the drive to Concord those two days. (about 2.5 hours each way) I am looking forward to the time with my friend and her kids and the down time the ride to and from the doctor will offer. (the car acts as a sedative for Ellie:0) I get home on Friday...no more trips for a while...whew!

We chose to use Dr. Douglass for Ellie's initial evaluation because he specializes in Russian medical evaluations. He is the one who evaluated the information we got with Ellie's referral. He is also a Christian. He prayed with us at the start and finish of every conversation we had with him. He is extremely knowledgeable in the statistics of Russian diagnosis and terminology. Dr. Douglass will do all the necessary testing and provide our pediatrician here with a comprehensive baseline. Our main concerns are any issues she may have with her heart and her leg. We're not certain that there is anything wrong with either. Nothing is mentioned in her medical about her leg but I think she walks funny and the doctors in Russia are convinced she has some issues with her heart...Dr. Douglass assures us he sees this diagnosis all the time and in most cases it turns out to be inaccurate. SO, please be in prayer over the testing she will have done over the next week.

Ellie is picking up quite a bit of language...she mocks everything and is watching our mouths all the time...I am working with her to get her to start stringing words together. Pretty much the only Russian word she still uses is "Die." (give) I mean really...but at least I got rid of kaka...ick! I despise that word. She is hilarious at the playground...she runs from one thing to another never stopping to actually enjoy anything. she likes the swing but only if it is barely moving! We are going to have change that because we are a family of roller coaster riders and her first trip to Disney is coming up soon...Those of you that wanted to meet us there with your kiddos...email me and let's get it together...

I think that is enough ramble for one blog...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray for all of you! It sounds like you are doing great!!! Blessings!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Sounds like us! : ) Although I need to work on the Kaka thing--I hate it too! I'll keep you all in my prayers this coming week with your appointments.
All our love,
Stacy, Pat and Aidan

Shane & Marie said...

It sounds like Ellie is doing wonderful. I hope the sleep gets better soon. Good luck with the appointments. Bryson has a bike like Ellie's and he loves it!

Carey and Norman said...

I enjoyed catching up with your blog. I can only imagine how busy you must be with four little ones. I'm glad Ellie is doing well. She is a doll and I always look forward to reading about her progress.

Anonymous said...

Lori & Adam,
Lori - you don't know me at all, but I am friends with your hubby Adam at work. Just wanted to let you know how inspiring it is to see your family's progress through this event with Ellie and how wonderful God has been to your family with this blessing. You are a true inspiration of what happens when you let God do his thing and just leave it in his hands. Our God is awesome and the strength and courage you & Adam had to do this is amazing. Congratualtions to you and your whole family for this amazing addition to your family.
Sincerely,
Darlene

P.S. As an avid listener of Spirit FM, I love your music selection for your blog.