Monday, December 1, 2008

Buckle Your Seat Belts...

It's a long ONE!

First I have to talk about the conclusion of fall sports... Rusty finished up his flag football season and got a little metal...it wasn't the dream season, kind of more the Bad News Bears version but he had a great time and that is what matters. Flip also finished up his T-ball season...if you are a Baseball mom, you know what I mean when I say FINALLY! He got a little trophy that he was so excited about. I have to mention this because as the third child, I have noticed that he has grown up (in some ways) faster than the older two. (Not so much in other ways:0) He has for a long time now been asking when it was going to be his turn to play something. He has watched Ruthie and Rusty at numerous activities and always been there for the trophy ceremony...longingly waiting for his very own trophy...and finally:




I think the grin says it all...What a cutie! So, on the Friday before Thanksgiving...I was madly trying to get us ready to leave town for the week...no small matter when I had to go on a field trip with Ruthie and have everything we needed packed for the frigid weather in D.C. as well as all of our formal wear for Adam's cousin's wedding! I had in my mind that we would leave around 2:00 and be at the rehearsal dinner at 4:00, right on schedule...well, at 4:00 we had been in the car for 2 hours but had yet to leave town...checking the cat into the kennel took forever, I forgot some stuff and we had to run back to the house, (ok, twice) but anyway, we made it to the dinner part and Adam did fine in the wedding so I think it turned out ok.



We left the hotel on Sunday morning at 5:30ish...took our time, stopping when we needed to and playing at rest stops to keep the kids from going crazy in the car...they did awesome, really! In South Carolina, we were playing at a rest area and a man from our church came up to us...how weird! We got to the Durham area and spent some time there with our Friends, the Forzaglias.

On Monday, we got up leisurely and headed out...after having coffee at you guessed it, cultbucks, and an hour long stop at the Walmart, we landed in Leesburg a little after 5pm to spend Thanksgiving with our friends, the Harrisons. We spent the time there seeing the sights including: the air/space museum, Mt. Vernon, The White House, all the D.C. monuments and some of the Smithsonian. Stacy was an awesome tour guide with all of her historical knowledge but while she knows her dates, her figures leave a little to be desired:0)

She laid a beautiful table on Thanksgiving and it was wonderful to spend time with the people who have shared in such an important part of our lives...Aidan and Ellie, while I can't say that I think they remembered each other, I did tell Stacy that I felt like they felt a familiarity to each other...there was no time needed for them to warm up to each other, he was so sweet and gentle with her and they took to each other like they had never been apart...it makes the mind wonder...

After a fun-filled week of hanging with our Russian co-horts, we packed back into the car and went to see Arlington before hitting the road for home...D.C. was different...I have been there before, as a child but, as an adult, everything there and all that it stands for looked different to me and some how, more important. Seeing it all made me want to recall all of those history lessons I never cared about in school and always wondered why we had to learn them. I've come to the conclusion that while the saying goes that it is important to know your history so that you don't repeat it...I feel exactly the opposite...sometimes, repeating history can be a good thing.



It's late, I know but I decided to challenge myself and list TWENTY things/people I am thankful for during this season of Thanksgiving:




1. Jesus: He is just so AWESOME!
2. My mom: She's pretty wise.
3. Adam: of course, he is the reason I am happy.
4. My children: I could go on forever.
5. Ellie's birth mother: she could have made a different choice.
6. My job: I'm lucky to be able to work from home.
7. Adam's job
8. Our church
9. My friends
10. A great school and teachers for my children.
11. clothes and food
12. My home: I have a love/hate relationship here...so many unfinished projects.
13. books
14. crystal lite
15. My dog: woman's best friend
16. warm, fuzzy socks
17. music
18. my college education
19. fall weather
20. having known my brother, if only for just a little while...


Time to Deck the Halls!

6 comments:

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

Love the pictures. I'm so glad you had a nice time. I think... much more fun than you would have had here:) You'll have to send me the Starbuck's pic. too.

Sherri said...

Lori,
Love catching up and hearing how everyone is doing! So excited to see our little ones this holiday season!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Just because I don't know how much that darned Indian on top of the Capital weighs!!!! . . . Sheesh! I did tell you all about Leesburg being the Provisional Capital, didn't I??? : ) It was great having you all here and yes, I think that Aidan and Ellie were at a minimum familiar with each other.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a busy, but amazing trip you guys had. I've always wanted to visit D.C. A big diddo on the list of things to be thankful for! We're so blessed aren't we?!

Grandma Andie said...

Know how you felt about DC...I could not believe how "affected" I was viewing the Vietnam "wall" memorial. Glad Ellie and Aidan were able to share some moments together. We are so thankful for all the many blessings God has heaped upon us through the love you and Adam have given to our newest grandchild. And of course, raising the "smartest", "cutest", most lovable grandchildren known to humankind...NO, I am not the least bit prejudiced...that is simply FACT! Love you all

Kasjaniuk said...

Wow, what an action packed week! It was great seeing you all at David's wedding.