Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Nine Is Fine...

She's nine! I wanted to do this post a week or so ago but December in the Jerger home is a mad rush from one event to another. We have Ruthie's birthday, our anniversary, and of course, Christmas! Although her birthday fell on a Monday, we waited until the following Friday to have her party. She really wanted to have both a slumber party and go putt-putt golfing. Since the last slumber party, with about 12 girls, I have wised up...so, Ruthie invited her three closest friends and we started the night at The Olive Garden. I wish I had recorded some of their conversation during dinner. They were both little girls and yet big at the same time. As they sat and did all the activities on their kid's menu, they talked about boys in a completely serious and yet, child-like way...drinking from cups with lids, they had very serious conversations about the differences between their schools, the activities they each participate in and even told jokes.

From dinner, we went to putt-putt golf. The girls had a blast...it was cold and we were all bundled up...there were many re-do's and some debate over what was fair and what was just plain cheating...Laura got the good sport award because she was abysmally bad but loving every minute of it! After Putt-putt, we went for ice cream and the girls ran into one of the boys from their class...uuugh! I mean, really! We got back to the house around 10:30, opened gifts, and then settled in for a few movies. Finally, we finished off the night around 2:30 AM...I remember this being so much fun when I was little girl but now, these late nights just make me a little nauseous.

In addition to her turning nine, we got the awesome news that she is being moved up to level 4 in gymnastics...this means that, assuming she hangs tough in workouts, she will be competing come fall and we will be on the road to meets! Her work out schedule has increased to 9 hours/week making for some tough decisions regarding other activities she is involved in. This is so exciting not only because of being on the competition team but because she had an uphill battle getting there this year. Ruthie was moving along so quickly and then earlier in the year, while back flipping into the pool, she hit her head and needed stitches. The accident put doubt and fear into her head and she had to work very hard to overcome it and get her round-off back handspring. I think seeing her go through that and push herself is what makes me the most proud.


So, nine years...I keep looking at her trying to remember all the little things...funny words, mannerisms, all the things that make her who she is and try as I might, I can't recall everything. It makes me want to turn back time...call for my own little re-do and just be able to rock her in my arms until she falls asleep a few more times before she goes away to college...in all this busy-ness, the time I want to hold onto the most seems to slip through my fingertips and my need to get it all imprinted in my memory increases as I see her face losing all the baby fat and her legs lengthening in to those of a young lady. This year, her ninth, my prayer is that I am the example the Lord called me to be when he gifted me with such a beautiful, talented child. I pray that when she grows into a woman, she will look back and remember me as a Godly, loving, obediant and compassionate wife and mother. And I pray that the Lord will help be that woman.


"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:14

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, so I am just getting a chance to catch up on your blog since December is crazy for us also between Steve's b-day, Alyssa's b-day and Christmas. I am taking a much needed break and catching up on everyone's blogs today. And... of course, I read yours and the tears start coming. I can't believe Ruthie is 9 already. I totally relate to everything you wrote since I am trying to accept the 13th birthday that Alyssa just had. This was the 1st year she didn't want a party, she just wanted to go to Arigato for dinner and have a friend spend the night. It made my planning a lot less eventful and of course made me focus more on the big 13, eek. She is not happy about being a teenager, she still wants to be a kid. Nine is fine and Alyssa still wishes she was 9, I told her just wait until you celebrate your 30th birthday baby!