Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mind Over Body

Just a quick update on my running...mostly for me...to keep me motivated. This is hard. As I said, I am following a training plan and it starts 10 weeks out from the race. Well, we are not yet 10 weeks out...this Sunday will be 12 weeks. So, I have tried to adapt the plan each week to challenge myself. I am up to running 8 miles on my long run each week. My training plan for the next two weeks looks like this:

Sun: rest
Mon: 3 miles
Tues: rest
Wed: 5 miles
Thurs: 3 miles
Fri: rest
Sat: 8 miles

Actually, even though I do it VERY slowly, the 8 mile run isn't too bad...it is the 3 mile run after a day of rest that I loathe. Compounding the mileage that I have to get in is the fact that I have 4 kid's schedules to work around and often find myself having to run at night when I am most tired. So, I found this quote and in the middle of a run, I whisper to myself, "you are not tired." And sometimes, my self listens...

"Now if you are going to win in any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
-George S. Patton, US Army General and 1912 Olympian


Sounds about right, right?

7 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

You go girl!

Carey and Norman said...

Wow...I'm proud of you!

I was hoping to see a photo of the Dark Brown hair color. Did I mention in college that I dyed my hair a few times (after summer highlights) to save money. One time it ended up purple and one time gray (dark ash blond). So, dark brown is good. When you try the fancy stuff, it is often not the color you are looking for anyways.

Carey and Norman said...

When I say purple, it was a dark, dark brown that looked purple in flourescent lights. Even my neighbor (a male) gave me a hard time :o)

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

You can dooo it! And, I like the quote.

Kasjaniuk said...

I think I can. I think I can.

Oh by the way ... I'm waaaaaaiting (for my Christmas card that is)

Beth Laster Photography said...

That quote is great!! I'm so impressed by you, Miss Thang!! Keep running! =]

The Merricks said...

This is the first time I have been to your Blog but as an adoptive family that has been home 6 day I have to tell you, I LOVE THE T-SHIRT on your little girl.

- Lisa