Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Was A-run-ning

I am so proud to say that I finished my first 10k (6.2 miles) EVER, tonight... I was slow, about 4 minutes slower than I wanted to be but honestly, I don't care...my training plan did not call for this distance yet, I just wanted to see if I could do it. I felt really good until about the last quarter mile when all of my abdominal muscles started to cramp up...I pushed through and made it to my drive way...I really don't know what came over me. I have so much to get done before Friday morning...I know...but really, we just got back from a weekend away and we are off again soon...there is so much to get done...I was just sitting at the computer and I thought, I'm going to run six tonight, why not? I'm sure I will discover the reason tomorrow when I wake up and can't move...oh well, I feel pretty good right now...


This past weekend, we packed up and went to Disney's Fort Wilderness for our first family camping trip EVER! A lot of firsts! It was a lot of fun! When we got there, we started to set up and we pulled out the tent that I bought, on clearance about 2 years ago. (never out of the box until now) It was ginormous and there were quite a few pieces...I wanted to read the directions but the men balked at that. Alas, they did figure it out and I am pleased to announce that my husband showered me with praise all weekend for such a wonderful purchase! He was absolutely thrilled with our tent! Especially when it started to pour on Friday night and we were snug and dry inside. Our partners in crime were not as lucky but they weathered the storm and we woke up Saturday morning to beautiful weather! (And smiles all around:0)

Ruthie and I traveled back to town for her exhibition...I missed it last year so I really wanted to go this year and I was glad I did! She is getting to be so good and I am really proud of her. While we were gone, the rest of the gang went to a poolside party and played in the arcade, at the park and just hung out. When we got back, everyone was at the campfire, finished making smores and ready to watch the outdoor movie...the chilly weather set in later that night and we woke up to frigid temps but our little heaters kept the chill to a minimum in our tents. After packing up, the Mckinleys held a ceremony for the the burial of their tent and then we went and played before heading home...I was asleep by 6:30 that night and feel no shame in confessing: I slept the night through and woke feeling refreshed! It was a great time and I can't wait to do it again!

8 comments:

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

Ruthie looks great! Love the group shot of you all. Flip and Rusty are getting so tall, WOW!!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

And we have a treadmill so you can continue training even if it's too cold to run outside! : )

Sherri said...

Lori,
Don't post often, but check in on you often. Congratulations on your run!!

Carey and Norman said...

Sounds like you had a fun time. Congratulations on your run!! I enjoyed the photos.

Deb said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. We've yet to try camping although my husband has years of experience.

Congratz on the 10k only 4 minutes longer then you wanted sounds really good to me.

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to your blog and love seeing how your family is doing. I love the picture with them all on the tree. I have been following your blog since you brought your daughter home but never left a comment(not sure). I even share your blog with my mother. We love the picture of her sleeping in the hotel in Russia with the spoon in her hand and we love the recent video with Elli singing her bible song. I started an adoption blog. Feel free to share some advice/opinions because I am in great need of it. Laura

Anonymous said...

hi
Forget to leave my blog.
Laura-wantmoretolove.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

darn, we look good!