Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Braggin' on my kids.

Recently, I have had the privilege of attending a poetry reading for Rusty's class. Rusty read a poem that he wrote about me:

My Mommy
By: Rusty Jerger

My
Mommy
is
My
Best
Friend
I
Love
My
Mommy
So Much!


Now, I'm not sure what kind of poem this is but it pretty much says it all...and to top it off, about 3 or 4 of his classmates wrote poems about him. It was completely adorable!

Also of late...a few field trips: One to Lowery Park Zoo with Rusty and the other to Heritage Village with Ruthie. The highs of these two trips were feeding the giraffe, petting the sting rays, putting out a fire the old fashion way and sitting in a one room school house.



The school year is wrapping up and we have had an awesome year. Ruthie stayed on the Principle's list all year and won a lot of academic awards. Her reading and writing has continued to be a passion for her and her teacher has really encouraged her along this path. It was perfect fit and we are so blessed that Mrs. Rasmussen will be looping and Ruthie will have her again next year. She competed in the 3rd grade spelling bee and Addition speed race and got second overall in both. Also, I am told by her very impressed teacher that she got a perfect score on the reading portion of her FCAT. Ok, I'll stop bragging.



Not really...Rusty has been a total surprise to me this year. Of course he had an awesome kindergarten teacher and we went into Mrs. G's class completely blind as the teacher we hoped to have for 1st grade had decided to teach second. Turns out that the relationship that developed between Rusty and his teacher was perfect for him as well. His reading took off and he was reading well above grade level within weeks of starting the school year. He was asked to join super-star math and is testing really high on all of his cycle/state tests! This from a kid who hates to read! I found that he does however take his school work seriously. He comes right in from school and begins his homework without being asked and he panics if he needs to complete something and feels like it won't get done...what a conscientious little student...


Rusty has begun his orthodontic trials and has joined Ruthie in the ritual of turning the torture rack. So I now find myself sitting int he waiting room while they both go back and get refitted and readjusted to their hard ware...oh well, we knew that having both worn braces, our kids didn't stand a chance.

Summer is here.

6 comments:

Grandma Andie said...

That's not bragging...those are just the facts!! You simply cannot help having those bright and wonderful children....and as their Grandma, I'm not the least bit prejudiced in saying so :).

Susan & Phil said...

The kids are great and growing up so fast!
We love and miss you all.

Calhoun's In Peru said...

Thank goodness the principles list is a good thing now because I remember that any time I got on that list I got in trouble. Aunt Andy is right, you are not bragging, just stating the facts, isn’t that one of the privileges of being a parent.

Kelli said...

Cool update Lori. Glad the kids had a good end of the school year. Looks like you were a busy lady! =)

Kasjaniuk said...

Way to go Ruthie and Rusty!!!

Unknown said...

dude - update your blog!