Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One Year.

Time goes by. So fast. I am finding it harder to update my blog as the busy-ness of life with four children and their schedules consumes most of my time. When I do have a moment to sit down, I usually don't want to spend it rehashing the day. However, a year has gone by. As I read over the blogs of many we met through out our adoption process, all of them focused on their gotcha day. For us, that day was important...but not as important as the day we landed in Tampa and walked off the plane to the faces of our family and friends there to meet our little girl for the first time. April 13th.

Ellie's birthday is March 31st and her gotcha day is April 4 but this year we celebrated on April 13th. Nothing big, just everyone from the airport, all together again, one year later. We went to The Olive Garden and the kids all sat at one end of the table, talking, yelling, fighting and as I sat there and I watched Ellie interact with what amounts to her siblings and cousins (because she has none, none of my kids do) I was amazed yet again at the changes this year has brought.

I find that God has worked in my life in little ways...just filling in the holes left by the loss of my brother. He has given me and more so, my mom little gifts along the way to make the days that should be painful more bearable...First He gave us my Rusty...on my mom's birthday. Not amazing in it's self but something special to look forward to rather than just another birthday without her son...and then on my brother's birthday, He gave us Ellie...home forever...what an amazing blessing and again something to celebrate on a day that otherwise would bring only pain. And so, I find it difficult to sit here and think over the last year without thanking God for all the blessings in my life that sit side by side in myheart with the pain of losing my brother

I wanted to sit and reflect over this time but they say a picture is worth a thousand words...














November 2007: Our first meeting. Ellie is skeptical and afraid but allows me to hold her. We coax a few smiles from her and discover that the way to her heart is through her feet. (smile)
















February 2008: I fly over to visit because I simply cannot stand being so far from her. I am allowed to see her on two days for two hours each day. Ellie is a bit older and understands the ramifications of my visits...she's not pleased.















April 13, 2008 Atlanta Airport Waiting for our connection to Tampa...we have made a tentative bond but there is still much work to be done...








April 12,2009 Mommy's little girl.

















March 31, 2008 Celebrating Ellie's 2nd birthday in the orphanage...just a few days before we carried her out of there forever. She was frightened and confused.
















April 13, 2009 Celebrating Ellie's 3rd birthday and the anniversary of our Forever Family.


Ellie has made some really good friend's in just one little year...what a wonderful little year...

11 comments:

Courtney said...

What a truly beautiful and complete family you have! You are so right in that God has blessed you so much in this past year and will continue to do so in the smallest and largest of ways.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I can't believe how much Aidan has changed in that year. . .and yet I see the pictures of Ellie and know, having been there, that she has changed even more!! What an amazing journey. What an amazing God!! Thanks to Him, it was/is all possible.

Seeing the courch for the orphanage was scary, though!

Heather said...

It is amazing to see just in pictures how her demeanor has changed. You can see the love over the last year. She is so adorable! Your family is living Deuteronomy 10:18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing. What a great testimony to our savior in your life. I'm sure the blessings will continue to flow.

Kasjaniuk said...

I can't believe it has been a year already. Weren't you JUST pregnant with RUSTY?!?!?! Where does the time go?

Kelli said...

So touching Lori. You guys do have so much to be thankful for! We all do. What a perfect God we serve.

3 became 4... said...

Lori-
What a beautiful post. Praise God for the blessings and comfort only He can give. Caleb's birthday is the day my beloved Aunt passed away last year. What a gift of hope... and no accident.
Praise God our kids are home forever! We too have chosen the day we came home to celebrate.
Blessings in Christ,
Lyn Franks

Maria said...

Happy Anniversary from our Ellie to yours! Congrats on the first year. It's amazing to see the changes -- not just the outward ones either. You can visibly tell from the outward appearance the beautiful, wonderful changes that have taken place in Ellie's life in the last year.

Sherri said...

Lori,
I am so far behind in catching up with everyone. Life just seems to go faster and faster. Congratulations on your one year home. I am with you, I think of April 2, the day we landed in the US as the day we came HOME. Ellie just continues to grow more beautiful! Can't wait to meet her in person one day!!

Grandma Andie said...

Ellie's Grandpa and I have discussed many times before, and now again, as we look at the comparison pictures side by side...what a transformation... from so serious to "such a fool":).
Our joy just grows and grows. Love the lot of ya!!

Unknown said...

my morning has been rough, now I am bawling! i am going to miss you guys soooo much...love you so much.

Courtney said...

What a sweet and beautiful story. So happy for you guys. We all have so much to be thankful for.