Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Sweet Boy.


Rusty earns money in class...not real money, just these little laminated pictures of coins. They earn them for turning in homework, having their agenda signed, being on task...etc. It is mostly a personal responsibility reward system his teacher has set up. The kids keep a balance in their check book and they are allowed to shop in the store on Fridays if they have turned in their homework that week.

At the beginning of the year Rusty told me they had Webkinz in the classroom store and he was going to save up for one of them. I thought that was a great idea...I mean really, saving is a very hard thing for one so young. Anyway, he had saved up quite a chunk of money. He needed $11.00 for the small Webkinz. Now, he earns a nickle here, a quarter there so really this is quite an accomplishment! On Friday, he got into the car and he had a plastic grocery sack and huge grin with him! He opened up the sack and do you think he pulled out a Webkinz? No, he pulls out a little bath basket with bath beads, lotion, shower gel and scrubby. The scent was Sweet Pea, one of my favorites...He looks at me and he says, "I decided I didn't need another Webkinz, Mommy. I wanted to buy this for you." Tears! He continues, "I wanted to buy Daddy something too but they didn't have anything I thought he would like." I asked him how much of his money he had to spend...$5.00...that's half of what he has saved...Tears!


Ruthie begins to admire my little basket and smell the lotion...Rusty notices...He says, "there is another one at the store, next week I am going to buy it for you Ruthie...and he did...That is MY sweet boy! He's got my heart all wrapped up and tucked safely into his pocket everyday...

6 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Kids do some of the most amazing things, don't they? And yours really are very sweet!

Grandma Andie said...

Awwwww...He is just so sweet! Give him another big Grandma HUG for me!

Kasjaniuk-Calhoun said...

What a thoughtful little fellow. It's one thing to spend your money on mom, but on big sis too ... was a sweetie!

Kelli said...

Uh! So touching. It's all in the little things kids do huh? As parents, we learn so much from them. =)

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

That is very sweet. Hold on to it:) They hit 11 and it all starts to go away!!! Maybe not all of it just some of it and I still want to keep all of it. I guess you can't though. I'm rambling!

Unknown said...

omg - i am bawling! rusty is such a "lovey"!