Thursday, January 29, 2009

All Banged Up.

Ok, so I made the classic mistake...I cut my daughter's hair...

A little background...A while back, Ruthie busted her head open doing back flips into the pool...my mom shaved just a little bit of her hair to see what the damage was and determine if we needed to make a trip to the ER...we did and she had stitches...so, she has to wear her hair completely back for gym and often times I just fix it that way in the morning before school so we don't have to rush in the afternoon. Well, she had just this one little section falling onto her forehead and I asked her if she wanted some bangs until it was all grown out. It was first thing in the morning...we were trying to get out the door and it was wet!!! I just grabbed the scissors and made the cut...kind of like pulling off a band aid. Hmmmmm...I'll just say that they weren't as short as the girls in Russia, they weren't as straight either...but, rather than try to straighten them (we all know how that ends) I just said, "Ah, very European." She has gotten lots of compliments and it really does look cute but, I have learned my lesson...it isn't just Flip who should stay away from people's heads with the scissors.

8 comments:

Susan & Phil said...

That's so cute! I remember my mother trying to trim my bangs when I was in first grade....my school picture shows very short bangs (all the way to the top of my forehead). This happened because she kept trying to get them even and they just kept getting shorter!
I think you look pretty cute, Ruthie!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I absolutely refuse to cut anyone's hair! My mom gave me crooked bangs more than once. . .bit she does look cute! And, you're right. They aren't as short as some in Russia!

JennyM said...

I did with Allie a few weeks ago! I wet her hair and did what I saw the hair stylist did and they were WAY too short. They still are but are growing out nicely. She did look a lot more Russian!

Kelli said...

I've always trimmed Avonlea's bangs, cut Rob's hair since we were 17 and now I cut Lincoln's hair. Saves money, time and effort (especially when they're little and won't sit still for just anyone).
I did try to cut Avonlea's hair when she turned three and that's why she has the short bob she has today. It stuck!
We all have our haircut stories and now Ruthie has hers. =)

Kasjaniuk said...

HA! She still looks cute as can be, and you're right, very European :)

Grandma Andie said...

I think you did remarkably well, for that time of the day! My mother cut my hair for years and years. Her favorite expression was "Oops, now I have to even it up on the other side". I came to learn that meant, "Your hair is going to remain SHORT, no matter how long you want it to be LONG!!"

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

I was going to ask about that in the last post but figured something like that happened:) I know you have some stylist on your hands... now you can include yourself in the bunch!

Just Jacki said...

It brings back memories of my grandmother~aka~Gram cutting, curling, perming . . . our hair just about every time she visited. Ahhh~those were the days!!