Monday, January 12, 2009

It's All About Flip!


Yes, indeed, he is FIVE! We had a whirlwind weekend starting on Thursday when Flip and I hopped in the car and drove to Disney World for his "free" day at The Magic Kingdom. We wandered the park and started at a ride I had never done before...the astro orbiter that sits on top of the Lunch Pad. It is no big deal but it always has a long line and it moves very slowly!!! On the way Flip informed me that Daddy had told him it was his birthday and he could do whatever he wants..."and I want to ride the race cars...LOTS!" We did....4 times to be exact. We even sat at some tables overlooking the race track while we ate our lunch that we brought from home. If you haven't been, this ride leaves a little to be desired for most adults. The line is usually considerable, the fumes are disgusting and the ride is none too exhilarating...but to a newly turned five year old it is the equivalent of Daytona.

Other highlights of the day include the tea cups which he was fearless on and loved being spun as fast as I could possibly get them to go. We rode Space mountain but skipped Big Thunder...we're saving that for our Feb trip! His constant chatter was endearing to me on this day where as usually I am just beside myself answering his constant questions and following his sometimes confusing string of conversation. He was taking it all in, never getting tired and embarrassed to ride in the stroller I brought, just in case. "Mommy, do you see ANY big kids riding in strollers around here?" No, Flip...none as BIG as you!

We were late getting to the night parade...enjoying one last ride before closing down the park and I had to hold him on my shoulders for the entire 30 minutes of lighted Disney Magic. I have a new respect for my husband who usually does this dastardly deed...I thought I was going to expire right there...or blow out my back at the very least!

Although the crowd through out the day was considerable, we didn't have to wait longer than 20 minutes to ride anything! We finished off the night with the fire works and as many times as I have seen this particular light display, it still amazes me...Disney sure can close down in style!


So that was Thursday...Friday I kept him home to let him sleep...he was snoozin' soundly before I hit the interstate. On Saturday, we went to the circus...one of my mom's gifts to us every Christmas...This year it was Ellie's first time and although she loved the sights, she was more fascinated by the snacks. Our pediatrician has us a bit worried about her growth and so, I have made every effort to make sure all her calories are good ones that will encourage her to gain weight and grow big...as a result, she doesn't get to fill up on things like cotton candy, pop corn and snow cones...but what is the circus with out all of those yummy things? By the end of intermission she had eaten herself into a coma and missed most of the second act!




On Sunday, we had "Flip's Fall back into Fall Fun-time Birthday Bash!" Back in October Flip looked at me and in all seriousness told me he wanted to have a Halloween party for his birthday...in January? So, right after Halloween, I went out and bought up a bunch of fall decorations and we decided to make it a fall carnival theme...the kids dressed up and we had activities like bobbing for apples, a scarecrow craft, potato sack races and they all made caramel apples topped with chocolate chips, marshmallows and other wonderful treats. My mom made these really cute cardboard cutouts for the kids to pose behind. Adam and I dressed up with all of the kids...we finished the party off with an old fashioned game of musical chairs and a good time was had by all! Happy birthday little Man! Good grief, I love that kid!

The whole crew.



Our gang: Incognito


Rangers, Power UP!









For Meagen...she knows why!















Can we get back to the fun stuff?







Cheater, cheater, apple eater!








FIVE!









Just another lady-bug nibbling on an apple.











What party is complete without a melt-down?


6 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Too cute! It looks like everyone had a grand time. . .Good to hear from ya!

Kasjaniuk said...

Wow, you guys do birthdays right. Flip must have had a blast, and I'm certain he felt his day was super special!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLIP

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

Classic Ruthie pic:) Looks like a birthday he'll always remember. Good times!

Kelli said...

Love it, love it, love it all! Especially your "get up" Lori! =)

Beth Laster Photography said...

Oh my gosh, I miss y'all so much! How fun are you?!

Anonymous said...

Flip has grown sooo much. He has matured like my left nut