Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Seasons

School is out. Summer is here. It is bittersweet...I don't have to get up early every morning to get them ready and on their way but, they will be home all day...you moms out there know what I'm talking about. Today, I had some time in the car just to think about stuff. Ick! dangerous. It seems I am in the season of my life where the little victories are so meaningful. Today, all my laundry is done, folded and put away. Now I know this does not seem like anything major but there are six people in this house. Each night they take off all their clothes and throw them on the floor in the laundry room. Every morning they dirty the towels I lay out for them. I don't even want to talk about matching socks. As I type this, there is only one wash cloth in my laundry basket and I am proud to say it will be empty for another 3-4 hours.

Last night I tried a new recipe and my family...all 5 of them...loved it! Again, this might seem a strange thing to celebrate but, with four children, that is a whole mess of pickiness sitting around the dinner table every night. A meal with no complaints about the food is a minor miracle indeed.


Yesterday, I had lunch with my youngest child and her father who is also my husband and upon reflection, it was nice to go out to eat with him...just to see him...in the middle of the day. Sounds weird, right?...Well, I don't normally see Adam in the middle of the day on a Monday so to me, it was pretty nice. I also got to snap this really great shot of him with Els. She enjoyed her first grilled cheese and spilled juice all over her white shirt and then could barely keep her eyes open on the way home. I found myself wondering at her knack for falling asleep so quickly. People don't usually fall asleep unless they feel comfortable and secure...brought a smile to my face. She really is just one of the gang...mine.

SO, I find myself often torn between wanting to get it all done...have everything finished, cleaned up, put away and wanting to just sit down and enjoy the little things that happen in my home each day...Flip's sound effects, Ruthie's daily readings of her stories and poems, Rusty's hugs and kisses and his little pats for the animals when he walks by them and Ellie's curiosity. Such little things...Where does the mother of four find the time for all of this and all of that and that special time she craves with each child each day? Seasons...they do indeed change.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bestow upon you the award for finished laundry!!! My friend, it's no small task & i remember what Mother Teresa says...whatever you do, no matter how small the task, you do it for God, you put love into it. Keeping your nest clean is a beautiful thing! I have cleaned now 3 times today :) - jeanette dini
mother bird

Sherri said...

Lori,
You enjoy every little accomplishment!! Raising 4 children in itself is huge!! Hats off to you, Adam and the children for creating a loving and secure home for Ellie in such a very short time!!

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

It gets easier and more worth it every day:)

Meagen

Kelli said...

So touching Lori.

Unknown said...

you are turning into such a "sap"! :)

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Yo Dude! You're so nostalgic! : )

Grandma Andie said...

Wow, I couldn't accomplish that much after school let out, even when I didn't have Adam...See, I was still celebrating that last day of school as much as the parents celebrated the first!!
Congratulations...well done.

Anonymous said...

Lori,
Your strength and faith are beyond comparison. My hats off to you for always leaving it in God's hands as we know he is the ONLY one in control of our every day busy crazy every day lives. You are truly blessed and God grant you the serenity to continue to see it this way and enjoy the blessings bestowed upon you. Adam's co-worker and friend- Darlene. You all are so inspiring! God Bless your whole family. I pray for you regularly. Prayer works miracles!

Just Jacki said...

Lori, as I have the opportunity to view things from the "other side" let me just say~~the laundry, dust, dirty dishes, unmade beds, etc. will all be there tomorrow (unless the maid fairy shows up) but your children will be another day older and you can never have back the day you just had with them. The best gift you can give them after a loving knowledge of Jesus is your TIME!!! A day will never be wasted if you can say at the end of the day, today my children and I made some memories. Believe me, there will be enough days when you will feel like the worst mother in the world. And of course you aren't. You're just a normal Mom with good and not so good days. Life is about choices. You can't go wrong choosing time with your family.
I love you. Aunt Jacki

Deb said...

Very touching. I value any time I get with my hubby since we don't get to see each other often. And laundry... that's a hard one right now.
So glad you are able to take time to enjoy the changes.