Monday, June 23, 2008

Stand.

I haven't really felt much like blogging lately. Last week, the kids had no activities during the day and so we didn't have to be up for anything in the mornings. Our evenings were a different matter all together.The boys were swimming from 5-5:40 every afternoon and we had to get to church for VBS by 6:00...throw in dinner and 3 evenings of gymnastics and the combination makes for some very tired kiddos. Their mother...exhausted. Still it was nice not to have to rush to be somewhere every morning.


VBS was a lot of fun this year. Flip is old enough now to be "into" it and the other two love it! Ellie got to go into the nursery each night and by the 3rd night, there were no tears at drop off. Each time I returned to pick her up, she ran over yelling, "Mommy!" I think that we are in the clear as far as bonding goes...at least in a group setting. She is comfortable going in and the workers do not need to hold and comfort her. We still will not leave her in situations where she might be the center of attention...no babysitters yet. Her vocabulary is really flying along...she is speaking in 3-4 word sentences and understands nearly everything we tell her or ask her to do. I think she is actually talking better than many other two year olds.

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store to get all my stuff for this week and low and behold I forgot my bags that I was so proud of in my earlier post...bad girl. I guess that will take time to get into the habit. I got my blog book and I love it! I will say that when I order 2008, I will get the bigger book. Although the 8x11 is great, I would like the pics to be a little larger.

Ellie is doing great, the others are doing great...blah, blah, blah...the truth is, this is hard. People are constantly asking me how she is doing...she is really doing fine...me however...that's another story. It is really kind of hard to explain the wave of emotions I go through each day. Having three biological children, I guess I have taken for granted the time I had to get to know each of them. Even during my pregnancies, I got a sense for how active each child would be, I had food cravings, sleep loss. From the time they were born, they had little personalities that Adam and I helped to shape as they grew. Ellie came to us with her own, that we had nothing to do with and frankly, it isn't a little personality. She is so incredibly vibrant, so happy, so smart. It seems like everything should just be falling into place. On the outside, it is. I guess I am having trouble finding the words to explain these emotions...jealousy, that I was not part of developing her personality to this point...sadness, that she is so independent with many things due to her circumstances...outrage that her biological family had to give her away...sorrow that someday she will feel that part of her is missing and no matter how hard I try, there will always be a void in her life...elated, that I am her mother now and I get her hugs and her kisses...confused over what is going on in that little brain...thankful, that the Lord saw fit to give her to us...faithful that He continues to work on me everyday.


I will probably always worry about Ellie. It seems only natural for a mother…just a little heightened with her because of her circumstances. Adam reminds me that worry is a sin and I am sinnin’. It is time to give it up to the one who is equipped to handle all that is placed before me. I guess you could say I have been in a bit of a funk lately…but I am getting’ up, brushin’ myself off and I am ready to stand.

9 comments:

The Fo'Zaglia's said...

Amen Sista! There is no other way. Only God can fill any void and any funk that we are in. So yes, it's time to give it over... as if you didn't already know that. For whatever it's worth, I've been in a funk too:) But each day I get up and brace for what's next. Have to.

Meagen

Sherri said...

Lori,
I really appreicate your post, as I stuggle with some of those same things. But I just keep reminding myself that God knew all along the path that Natalie would take to be my child and He would be there for her and for me, that He will give wisdom for the questions, peace for the confusion and healing for the hurts encountered on that path. I know He will do that for you, Adam and Elle.

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh Lori! I couldn't have said it any better than that! In fact, I pray every day to get myself under control. . .It is so very hard! I just love Aidan so much and want so much for him and yet, he has this whole other part of himself that I will never be a part of. . .You all are in my prayers.

3 became 4... said...

Lori-
Thank you for sharing your heart so openly. I couldn't have expressed all of those feelings better. I have already thought and felt all of those things a million times. This journey is the hardest and the most amazing all at the same time... and God is not done with me yet! I have to pray regularly for help in keeping my emotions in check- and I probably always will. I always have to remember that my son's circumstances- past, present, and future- are the building blocks for the man our Father God means for him to become. I cannot always understand why He would purposely plan my son's life that way, but He did, and I must blindly trust Him (and that is so very hard for me to do).
Ellie is hugely blessed to have such a loving mama- one who will point her to Christ. How awesome that Jesus will be her best friend! I get goosebumps just thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In Christ,
Lyn Franks

Maria said...

Oh dear friend -- adoption brings with it such a mix of emotions that many people don't "get". And you know, she is probably just the little one to help God accomplish the job He needs to in you -- things that maybe biologically would not have occurred. He is such a wonderful God and so creative. I'm always amazed at what He uses to grow me -- what a job He has there. :-) Know that you are in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Hey girlie - you are definitely having the "post adoption blues" - I had them with Grace and resisted it for a long time. How could I possibly be having "post partum" from an adoption? But, it is real, and you are so right - the only One who can make it right is our Lord above! I promise He will take the "funk" away and you will be living in pure bliss with your beautiful family. I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

OK Lori - time to crawl out of your nest and just admit, it's that monthly time for you now. We all have it and the older you get, the more evident it truly is. Bet by next week, you'll feel like yourself again. God will guide you as you let him. Oh, and about those grocery bag - just leave them in the back of your car and make it a habit to grab them before you go into the store - or better yet, if you have the little ones with you - make it a part of their job to hold them and remind you. I've used mine for 6 months now and love the feeling of saving a piece of the environment. Tootles, Darlene (Adam's co-worker)

Kelli said...

Lori, I love when you share your heart and inner thoughts. You're so honest and although it's neat hearing all of the wonderful things about adoption, it's also important that you're sharing some of the difficult times as well.

Deb said...

Glad VBS was good. How nice that she comes running for mommy when you come back.

Even though we have had Isabel with us since she was 2 weeks old I still have some of those feelings. For me it's really hard knowing her birthmom but I enjoy knowing her at the same time. I am jealous of not having had that instant connection (maybe not bond) that I would have had were she my biological child.