Thursday, August 7, 2008

The End of Summer....

Like all good things, summer too must come to an end. We are closing out the final two weeks of summer vacation and I am ready for school to start. We didn't take any major trips this summer and we didn't do any major projects...we just kind of hung out and it was nice to be home bodies for a while...but, with the start of school comes fall and all things I love most...new pencils and paper, new school clothes and shoes, new lunch boxes, Labor day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, football season, pumpkins, and aaaaahhhhh..."busy-ness." Gymnastics, baseball, AWANA, meetings, PTA, projects, homework, weekend trips, birthday parties, dinner, lunches, field trips, socials, madness!



I'm not complaining...I can just already feel the schedule closing in...Adam is now in meetings on Monday nights at church, working AWANA on Wednesday nights, men's Bible study Thursday nights and in a few weeks, our Friday night small group will re-start. Ruthie is at the gym three nights a week, Flip will start fall ball in a few weeks and Rusty is looking forward to playing flag football this year. Where does that leave me? Well, I have pretty much become the live-in taxi driver...I am thinking of getting myself one of those really stupid bumper stickers that says "Mom's Taxi." Truer words were never put into print.



With all that said, here is a quick update: The kids, all four of them had healthy check ups at the dentist yesterday...no cavities all around...Ellie cried silent tears the entire visit but opened each time they asked her to....I think she was waiting for them to pull out a needle! She was , however, thoroughly excited about her new toothbrush and little tube of toothpaste. Rusty was able to get all of his molars sealed as they are all the way in...yeh! Ruthie had an orthodontist appointment today and it seems the time to act is now...Our ortho has been watching her teeth for almost two years now and he said it is time to move...so, she goes back in next week for a follow up after having xrays today...we'll see. The kids will all be wearing uniforms this year and although it is voluntary, we are participating...I have mixed feelings about it but, the kids could care less. Flip's school schedule is changing to 5 half days this year for pre-K....uuuugh! PRE-K, wasn't he just born yesterday? I am going to be going into work one day a week starting next week and Ellie will have her own little playroom at the office to romp in while I work. Adam has taken on the position of chairman on the global missions team at church and he is excited to be a part of that. That's about it for now...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah on the great dental check-ups!!!!! By the looks of the family photo she is fitting right in! What a beautiful family....and you all sound way too busy!!!
Tonya

Carey and Norman said...

What a wonderful family photo. It sounds like you've had a fabulous summer and are getting ready for the fall activities. Fall is my favorite too. I enjoyed catching up and seeing the adorable shot of all the kids smiling together!

Carey and Norman said...

By the way, how is the Harrison family doing?

Susan & Phil said...

Sounds like y'all have had a good summer...autumn sounds verrrrry busy! Glad the kids' dental checks went well...their picture is great. It will become my new screensaver!
We love you all and miss you!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I know I always wait for this time of year--I can't help that I'm a geek. . .The kids look great and Ellie looks like she has really become one with you all. Fantastic!

Kasjaniuk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kasjaniuk said...

You've got hair of every color now :)

I tell ya girl, I don't know how you do it ... my hat's off to you (if I were wearing a hat).

Journey of Faith said...

Hey Lady!!
Nice to hear from you again- so glad to hear everything is going well. As everyone else has mentioned.... love the picture!
How does late winter, early spring sound? Think you could get away for a while? Maybe a week?
Miss talking to you, looking forward to seeing you sometime in the next year....

Grandma Andie said...

The picture is fabulous....Like Karen, my hat is off to you! Four kids....Bill Cosby was right...with one, I just didn't understand!! Plus, poor Adam, he couldn't blame "it" on anyone but the dog and cat!! Love you all Bunches!

Kelli said...

That picture of the kiddos rocks Lori! What a beautiful bunch of children.

Unknown said...

Wow! It's all crazy aint it!?! LOVE the pic - the kids all look great - especially their "teeth"! I am getting ready to start the big "HS" next week! Check out my blog to see Ellie and Grace in their matching shirts - relax this weekend - the craziness all begins next week!!!!!!!