Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lucerne

Aside from London, Lucerne was my favorite stop on our trip. This city sits on a lake full of swans between mountains and is just…beautiful. Adam and I decided not to do any optional excursions. I did not want to ride in a car full of people hanging from a wire. Sorry. AND, on our anniversary trip, we wanted a little time to do our own thing. We spent the time wandering the city, taking self portraits in front of landmarks and doing some serious souvenir shopping…a Swiss knife for Flip (I know what you’re thinking) a Swiss watch for Rusty and a doll named Lucerne for Ellie. (Ruthie got jewelry from Paris) When we were done with our wandering, we got some ice cream, a loaf of bread for our feathered friends and rented a paddle boat.

We set off from the in the late afternoon…not wanting to get too far away, just far enough to have some quiet and space between us and the rest of the world. Out in the middle of the lake it seemed as though it was just us, the swans and the mountains. So, I got out the snack we had brought along for these beautiful, peaceful birds…and, they attacked! There must have been fifty of them. It was so much fun! They came right up to the side of the boat, following us everywhere, snatching from our hands and honking aggressively if they felt they were not getting their fair share. Adam and I laughed so hard and at one point almost tipped our boat. It really would have been a shame because we were a little far out and the water, COLD! When we ran out of bread and our time on the boat was at an end, we headed back to the pier, a line of swans trailing behind.

That evening, we went to a dinner show with the group. It was all going really very well until I got pulled up to the stage to yodel and participate in a beer chugging contest. Really? Now, you know I don't drink beer...I can't even stand the smell of the stuff! I had to pass on that part much to the disappointment of the crowd. I am quite the yodeler, however, if I do say so myself!

After dinner, I made Adam go back to the water with me to feed the swans again. This was probably MY favorite day of the trip. Not my favorite city but my favorite day…Just me and Adam…playing…all day. Next stop…



Other favorite pics from this stop:





























































2 comments:

Susan & Phil said...

Isn't Switzerland one of the most beautiful places you've ever seen? We stayed on Lake Como between Switzerland and Italy, and it was just achingly beautiful. Drove home through 5 countries in one day (Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, Germany).

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

What an awesome day! You all sound like you had an absolute blast! Wish I could have heard the yodeling. . .I know you could do it even better with beer! : ) But, alas. . .