Friday, July 31, 2009

Casting Call...

So, Summer is nearly at an end and Ruthe's first competition season is fast approaching. She was nursing a sore ankle with ice and Ibuprofen for a few workouts when her coach finally came out to tell me she thought we ought to have it looked at because it was effecting her form on floor and vault. hmmmm...So, we went to the same orthopedic we went to when she broke her wrist, oh, and her other wrist. He was on vacation. (really? Why does he need a vacation?) So we had to see the ortho to the stars. I didn't know he was such a "big deal" at our first appointment where she got xrays and a cast to begin the healing process of a stress fracture. She picked her color, I paid the massive bill and we were on our way.

When we returned to gym, the coaches were just as surprised as I was to see her in a cast. She spent the next several weeks doing a whole lot of arm and abdominal conditioning while her team mates worked diligently on their routines. During this time I started to notice that she felt separated from her teammates who really are her best friends more than any of the kids she goes to school with. How could this not be the case when she spends so much time with them? It was hard not to feel the separation when she was off to the side doing sit-ups and pull ups. But, finally the time came when it was time to return to the doctor to get the cast taken off.

We sat in t he lobby anxiously anticipating our appointment. We sat and sat and sat...no, this is no Dr. Seuss bo ok. Finally I got up and the woman at reception informed me that he was running about an hour behind but that I was next. I watched 3 other people get called back by this man's nurse. Again, I got up. This time I was told that he had an "important client" come in without an appointment. WH AT!?! I was livid! When we finally got into the room, the nurse that took the cast off did not use the guard and burned Ruthie's leg with the blade. When the Doc came in, I let him give me his spiel about easing back into regular workouts and then I gave him mine about him, his office and his staff. And then I left. I won't be back.


Anyway, Ruthie eased back into her workouts and tumbling. You will have to stay tuned to see how competition season went!

3 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Yikes!!! Poor Ruthie!! I'm so sorry she had to go through this. . .but, I'm glad I didn't read that before my cast came off my arm! I would have freaked. . .did the doctor lower your bill any? Hope she is healed fully now.

Susan & Phil said...

I hope Ruthie is doing okay. That picture of her leg looks awful. I'm glad you gave that doctor a piece of your mind....he deserved it. Give Ruthie our love.

Kelli said...

Are you guys adopting again? :) Just curious.